Self discipline is the ability you have to control and motivate yourself, stay on track and do what is right
Self Discipline :
Meaning of self-discipline What does self-discipline mean? Self-discipline is the ability you have to control and motivate yourself, stay on track and do what is right. An example of self-discipline is when you make sure you get up an hour early before work each day to get to the gym. Why is Discipline Important Being disciplined is a way to gain many advantages and benefits in life.
Discipline helps one to be
1. Being focused: Being disciplined helps one stay focused towards his work, activities or goals. A person with strong goals are more focused and keep up to work on time in everyday life. vice-versa anyone with discipline has to keep his mind focused on his work or goals avoiding mental disturbances. If not he cannot complete his work in time and also be undisciplined.
2. Respected by others: Discipline helps command respect from others. Many people struggle to gain respect from others in the workplace. But the easiest way to get respect is to be disciplined. People around and also the sub-ordinates respect a person who is disciplined. The reasons are Firstly it is tough to be disciplined for anyone. And if you are one, then you have respect from others for that ability. If you are an employee, due to discipline you tend to complete work in time, be in the workplace at a time, etc. This helps you win respect from your boss or employer.
In studies being disciplined helps you complete your exam preparation, homework in time and helps you gain the highest score. This wins you respect from your colleagues. If you are a boss or leader of the group etc. being disciplined helps you command respect from your subordinates. In turn, they tend to be disciplined and helps to complete your goals and reach higher levels. There are chances that seeing your self discipline others might consider you as a role model.
3. Stay healthy: Disciplined life includes regular habits like taking food, medicine (if any), having a bath, exercise, walking and sleeping at right time. Exercise and other regular habits will tune the body and mind so well that always the person remains healthy. Even in case of a chronic disease taking medicines at a regular time helps get well soon. Having food on time is very important because even food is also medicine. Read the importance of food for life.
4. Stay active: Discipline is a way of a positive outlook on life. There are enthusiasm and self-confidence from within. So it keeps one active and not lazy instead. Notice anyone who is disciplined, he/ she is always active in comparison to others. Also due to disciplined habits like having food, sleep and exercise regularly, they stay the active whole of the day.
5. Self-control: A person with self-discipline has more self-control over himself. He is careful in his use of words while talking, his behavior, etc. avoiding himself from being entangled in silly problems. This way he also builds good relations with people.
6. Better academic performance: Discipline in education is very important for better education. Education is incomplete without learning discipline. Classroom discipline helps students to listen to teachings well and also cover the entire syllabus. While coming to school in time helps them awake early, attend nature calls, have a bath and breakfast in time. Hence discipline in schools helps students to stay healthy which is good for the growth of both body and mind.
7. Get things done & be happy: Being disciplined helps get things done faster and at the right time. Though some things happen late due to other factors, still one with discipline gets them done faster than others due to his self-discipline like being on time. So this leads to peace of mind and keeps one happier. Consider yourself in a situation when one of your family members asked you to go out in an evening. If you are disciplined, you complete your work in time and try to give your time for them. If not they get hurt by you and this leads to loss of happiness. This is a common or routine issue in many families. So try to stay disciplined. It helps you to keep your family and friends happy as you can give them extra time.
8. Have more time in a day: A disciplined person have more time in a day than an undisciplined person. So more time means there is more chance to do extra works or other pending works. We can overcome procrastination and laziness in work.
Advantages Of Self- Discipline
1. Puts limits on behaviors
2. Invites little adult emotion.
3. Increases consistency.
4. Helps parents to calm themselves down.
5.Better then spanking and hitting.
6. Transferable among care-givers.
7. Developed for children with ADD.
8. Sometimes attains Short term goals of stopping misbehavior.
Disadvantages Of Self- Discipline
1.Promises “magic” and speed which can be an unrealistic goal in parenting.
2. Fails to address Long term goals of the child developing belonging and attachment with the family.
3. Teaches that time-out is a negative punishment rather than a positive life skill.
4. Invites power struggles.
5. Encourages submission to a bigger sized person.
6. Fails to teach problem-solving or co-operation skills.
7. Can incite anger, frustration, and resentment.
8.Can promote rebellion, retaliation, and getting even behaviors.
9.Can increase sibling animosity.
10/Ignores the child's feelings that led to misbehavior.
11.Is a barrier to parent-child communication.
12. Fails to recognize that each child is unique.
13. Fails to teach internal controls and self-discipline.
14. Fails to teach conflict resolution and thinking skills.
15. Fails to teach how to make amends or restitution.
16. Fails to teach how to self calm when the child is in a high emotional state.
17., Isolates child rather than promote connection.
18.Not “mutually respectful”.
19. Gives negative attention to misbehavior which may increase misbehavior.
20.Difficult for extroverts who need to “talk through high emotional states”.
21.Label’s child with unhealthy self-esteem.
“The naughty child goes to the naughty step”.
22. Increases original and repeat behaviors because the child’s underlying needs not addressed.
23. Children do not have reflective skills until age 7.
24. Children often do not know or understand why they are in time out.
25. Often used to help parent calm down rather than for a child’s needs. Tips to use self-discipline To make self-discipline a very successful course.
The information given below will help self-discipline a successful course
1. Explain to the children the purpose of self-discipline and show them your role of self-discipline
2. Explain the advantage of self-discipline
3. Share all your feeling to your child when they are not to practice self-discipline
4. Allow the child to explore his/her feeling by trying to sit with him/her at night before bed. This will help them tell you all their secret.
5. Do not give negative feedback. For eg “ You don’t know anything” instead say “ well done, try one more step and you will rock.”
6. Do not say any bad words as the children learn very fast the words. Use an appropriate word to train them so that they can respect others.
7. Be firm only with a good habit which needs to develop and also patience is the key to success.
8. Today technology has been advanced and children learn the technology quickly than us. Hence we need to learn at the face space.
9. Develop reading habit so that your child observe you and learn the develop from you.
10. Allow them to have their own space and watch them how they react and learn and appreciate every little thing.
11. Always smile with them as they expect you to do it as it will change their discipline.
12. A smile brings a lot of positive change to all the family at home and stops nagging for each and everything.,
13. Always react calmly whenever they do a mistake or does something mischievous as the children are so sensitive to the feeling.
14. Try a different approach to self-discipline.