The Ripon Building is the seat of the Greater Chennai Corporation in Chennai, Tamil Nadu

https://f002.backblazeb2.com/b2api/v1/b2_download_file_by_id?fileId=4_za8a2358db1d7f91b68b30916_f1011b73a89ed5095_d20191015_m060959_c002_v0001119_t0015

The Ripon Building is the seat of the Greater Chennai Corporation in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It is an example of the Neoclassical style of architecture, a combination of, Ionic and Corinthian. The Ripon Building is an all-white structure and is located near the Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. M.G. Ramachandran Central Railway Station.     

 

History                                                                                                             

Commissioned in the year 1913, Ripon Building was designed by G.S.T. Harris. It was built by Loganatha Mudaliar and took four years to build at a cost of 750,000, including a sum of 1550,000 paid to Mudaliar. The Ripon building was named after Lord Ripon, Governor-General of British India and the Father of local self-government. 

 

Earl of Minto, the then Viceroy and Governor-General of India laid the foundation on 12 December 1909. The Municipal Corporation of Madras, after functioning from several other places including Errabalu Chetty Street, settled at Ripon building in 1913, with P. L. Moore as the President of the Municipal Corporation at the time of the inauguration. The inaugural function was attended by over 3,000 of the city's elite.         

                                                                 

 Building details                                                                                                                                            

The building is rectangular and is 85 meters (279 ft) long and 32 meters (105 ft) wide with a 43 meters (141 ft) central tower containing a clock 2.5 m (8.2 ft) in diameter. The first of its three floors has approximately 2,800 m2 (30,139 sq ft) of space.

 

 The walls were constructed with stock bricks, set and plastered with lime mortar and the roof is supported with teak wood joists. The original flooring of the ground floor was Cuddapah Slate that has been replaced with marble. One of the main attractions of the building is the Westminster Quarter chiming clock. This was installed by Oakes and Co. in 1913. The clock has a mechanical key system, which is a wound every day. There are four bells, which were cast by Gillet and Johnston in 1913.                                                                                

Leave a Reply