Extremely severe cyclonic storm FANI hit Odisha coast on May 3 devastating Puri and parts of Khurda district. It claimed at least 34 lives. While thousands of trees were uprooted and several houses destroyed, the cyclone also damaged the electricity and communication facilities in the affected areas.
Here are the details of damages caused by FANI in Balasore, Bhadrak, Cuttack, Dhenkanal, Ganjam, Jagatsinghpur, Jajpur, Kendrapara, Khordha, Mayurbhanj, and Puri districts:
• 137 Blocks affected.
• 46 ULBs affected.
• 14,835 Villages affected.
• 1,07,84,915 Population affected.
• Five 400 KV towers, Twenty seven 220 KV towers, Twenty one 130 KV towers have been damaged in the cyclone.
Four 220 KV Grids at Chandaka, Bidanasi, Samagra, Mendhasala and Four 132 KV Grid at Puri, Nimapada, Mancheswar and Ransinghpur have been damaged.
• 5030 Kms. of 33 KV lines, 38613 Kms. of 11 KV lines, 11077 distribution transformers, and 79485 Kms. of LT lines damaged.
• In Puri district extensive damages have occurred to all kutcha houses. Structures of temporary street vendors have been completely damaged.
160 people injured and admitted to hospital for treatment. Special Circuit House Puri, Office and Residence of SP and Collector have been badly damaged like many other buildings.
• Huge numbers of trees have been uprooted resulting in disruption of road communication. Khordha and Bhubaneswar city have been severely affected.
• In Bhubaneswar 03 persons are injured and have been hospitalized.
• Power supply snapped due to uprooting of electricity poles, damage to substations and transmission lines.
• Telecom towers have been affected resulting in cellular and telephone network down in wide area. All telephone and cell phones are down in Puri district. Telephone and mobile connectivity has also been severely affected in Khordha including Bhubaneswar city.
• Summer crops, orchards, plantations devastated in a large scale.
• Traffic was disrupted in all the PWD roads of Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara due to up-rooted trees, debris and electric poles.
• 1031 public health facilities (MC & H/ DHH/ SDH/ CHCs/ PHCs/ Sub-Centers) damaged.
• 5244 Primary School Buildings and 547 secondary school buildings damaged.
• 980.69 km. of River/ Saline Embankments have been damaged.
• 50% of the plants have been damaged in Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Jajpur and Paradeep.
• 65 Cashew fields in Khurda, Cuttack, and Jajpur damaged.
• 180 Higher Education Institutions severely & 90 HEIs partially damaged.
• 227 breaches, 5596 kms length of road, 326 culverts have been damaged in PWD roads. 556 roads blocked due to uprooted trees, electric poles & wires, cyclone debris.
• 9693.25 kms. of RD roads and 4610 buildings have been affected.